Submitting Grant Proposals through the Data Science Institute
For assistance with identifying funding opportunities or submitting proposals through the Institute, please contact Mark Habana, Associate Director of Research and Grants Management at email@example.com or (646) 745-8469
or Daniel Alicea, Associate Director of Finance and Grants Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or (646) 745-8470.
- Sample Budget Form (excel format). Please choose the worksheet that corresponds to the project location and the originating sponsor.
- Columbia Research Homepage: provides a university-wide resource for research; New, July 2017
- SPA Institutional Information page; provides current fringe rates, ICR, DUNS number, etc.
- PI Eligibility
- Columbia Libraries/Information Services Webpage; provides Data Management Plan requirements, templates, and samples.
- Columbia IRB Website; provides information regarding human subjects research.
- Columbia University's RASCAL - Research and Compliance Administration System; provides grant proposal tracking, conflict of interest disclosure forms, IRB and IACUC protocol requests, etc.
- InfoEd; Columbia University's online portal for electronic grants administration
- NSF FastLane; for proposal submissions to the National Science Foundation
- Research.gov; for both proposal submissions to NSF (launched April 2018, with limited functionality) and post-award grant management of NSF-funded projects.
- NSF Grant Proposal Guidelines
- NIH PHS398 and SF424 Instructions; Use the application instructions found on this page along with the guidance in the funding opportunity announcement to submit grant applications to NIH, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Grants.gov; provides information on federal grant policies, application processes, access to grant search and notification tools and online submission portal, Workspace.
- Columbia Engineering's 9-month GRA tuition rate charged to grants: $23,106 ($2,567.33 per month) effective 9/1/18-5/31/19. This is the rate used for government grants with 62% IC and for industry grants with at least 35% IC (it represents 1/2 the full tuition rate of $46,212).
- Federally negotiated rate agreement for government grants, dated 08/14/2018.
- On-Campus Indirect Cost rate for Gov't grants: 62%, effective 7/01/2018.
- Off-Campus Indirect Cost Rate for Gov't grants: 26%, effective 7/01/2018
- Indirect Cost Rate for all Industry/Non-Gov't grants: 35%
- Fringe Benefit Rate for Faculty/Staff: 28.2% govt; 30.5% non-government (both rates effective 7/1/2018).
- Fringe Benefit Rate for hourly student employees (non-GRA): 8.15% for both government and non-government grants. Fringe is charged only for summer months
- Minimum GRA stipend rate: $39,133 per year ($3,261.08/mo), effective July 1, 2018
- For Post-docs and Officers of Research, please see salary guidelines
- Morningside DUNS: 049179401
- EIN: 135598093
- NIH Salary Cap: $189,600 (effective 1/07/2018)
- NIH GRA Stipend + Tuition Cap: $48,432 (effective 10/01/2017).