The Ph.D. concentration in Data Science is an option within each participating department's PhD program. The current participating departments are Computer Science, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research,and Statistics. PhD students in these departments can choose to do this concentration. To participate, students need to fulfill the requirements below in addition to those of their respective department's PhD program. Students should discuss this concentration option with their PhD advisor and their department's Director for Graduate Studies. Further questions about the concentration requirements should be directed to Professor David Blei (CS and Stats).
- The concentration consists of either 5 courses from the lists below, or 4 courses plus 1 additional course approved by the curriculum committee.
- At least 3 of the courses should come from outside the student’s home department.
- At least 1 course has to come from each of the three departments.
- COMS 4231 Analysis of Algorithms I
- COMS 6232 Analysis of Algorithms II
- COMS 4111 Introduction to Databases
- COMS 4113 Distributed Systems Fundamentals
- COMS 6720 Bayesian Models for Machine Learning
- COMS 4771 Machine learning
- COMS 4772 Advanced machine learning
[ Click Here ] to view more information about the PhD program in CS.
IDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING AND OPERATIONS RESEARCH (IEOR)
- IEOR E6613 Optimization I
- IEOR E6614 Optimization II
- IEOR E6711 Stochastic Modeling I
- IEOR E6616 Convex Optimization
[ Click Here ] to view more information about the PhD program in IEOR.
- STAT 6301 Probability Theory I
- STAT 6201 Theoretical Statistics I
- STAT 6101 Applied Statistics I
- STAT 6104 Computational Statistics
- STAT 5224 Bayesian Statistics
- STCS 6701 Foundations of Graphical Models (Joint with CS)
[ Click Here ] to view more information about the PhD program in Statistics.
Data Science PhD Concentration Committee Chair
Concentration Steering Committee
- Rocco Servedio: firstname.lastname@example.org [ Computer Science ]
- Garud N. Iyengar: email@example.com [ Industrial Engineering and Operations Research ]
- Richard Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org [Statistics ]
Data Science PhD Concentration Committee
- David Blei: email@example.com [ Computer Science / Statistics ] [ Questions PoC ]
- Gail E Kaiser: firstname.lastname@example.org [ Computer Science ]
- Michael Collins: email@example.com [ Computer Science ]
- Cliff Stein: firstname.lastname@example.org [ Industrial Engineering and Operations Research ]
- Vineet Goyal: email@example.com [ Industrial Engineering and Operations Research ]
- Ming Yuan: firstname.lastname@example.org [ Statistics ]